Monday 8 June 2015

Design brief

After extensive research, looking into music video techniques, theories and moving image/visual influences, I have decided to create an abstract music video based around nature and the moving ocean tide.

I have decided to shoot in a scenic location as I am basing my music video around abstract and nature. I looked at location scouting and found that the most effective place to carry out my shoot was in the surrounding area of Weymouth. I decided to shoot here and researched nearby places of beauty. I also researched the weather forecast to ensure that I was going to be there on days with weather that I desired.
Shooting in such a location requires a thorough health and safety/risk assessment. I now feel comfortable doing this as I have now conducted many throughout the course. Ensuring that myself and others around me are safe is paramount to prevent any accidents.
During my shoots I have decided to take a bulk of equipment, including: Canon 5D camera, camera battery, camera SD card, camera battery charger,  fluid head tripod, laptop and a card reader. I have decided to take this list of equipment as once away and shooting I do not want the SD card to get full of footage with nowhere to offload it, limiting the amount I can film, therefore I will be taking my laptop to transfer footage.
I have worked from the visual influences of Kazuyuki Okajima, Syoin Kajii and Keith Johnson (shown below). Their bodies of work combined have given me inspiration and many ideas of techniques to modify and make personal to me.
When conducting my research I found it difficult finding a song to match my desired visuals. I knew what I wanted my music video to look visually, but needed the right song to work well in visuals and concept. I found the concept of changing/moving on and the harshness of nature interesting and knew that the visuals would work well with that concept. I got this inspiration from a video I researched from Boards of Canada. After alot of research into songs, I eventually settled on using Ben Howard's Oats in the Water as the main song for my music video. I feel that this song works well, especially after analysing an existing music video for the song. I related Andrew Goodwin's theory, and plan to cut the visuals to the beats of the music.

Here are some of my visual influences that I hope to gain inspiration from and recreate in my own music video production:

No comments:

Post a Comment